Sunday, November 2, 2008

Catching Up with the Jones's !!!

Well I have been so busy with this course I am doing and everything else I havent had time to write much.

Lets see I went to a small town called Hopetoun a week ago and spent some time with my cousin. I had a wonderful time and even though my cousin got a little over protective I enjoyed his fussing and company.

I got back and was so tiredI couldnt be bothered working so took the week off. The luck of being a casual you can do that without losing your job.

I have booked my way to Sydeny in December and leave on the 12th but will be back for xmas. I am not sure how long I will be staying asI am headed back there in February for the birth of my first Great Nephew. I cant wait to get a hold of him and have a bog smooch. My Nephew mentioned that I wont be too interested in him anymore now the little one is almost here but he will still get his bag of treats from me which usually includes a pile of lollies for him. He has a real sweet tooth that kid or I should say man now lol.

Please take a look at my last entry was sent to me by my Brother in law and I found it amazing.

Well everyone kept telling me to get with the times and get rid of my old Video Camera and me being one who doesnt like getting rid of things have refused for years.
I pulled it out to record Esch playing about and it got sick, very untimely. Annoyed with this I placed it in it's original box and carried it gently to my car where I placed it on the floor in the front and proceeded to the camera sales/repair shop. Walking in carefully with my prized camera which I might add I paid quite a lot for back in 1987 or 88 I cant quite remember when. I stood waiting while a young woman with a small child looked over some of the new cameras they had there and marvelled at the size of them, so small and compact I thought to myself as I looked at my poor sick larger camera in its box. When they serviceman finished his sale of a very expensive camera to the young woman he walked over and offered me some help. I explained what I was doing and the noise my camera made before it stopped working. He looked puzzled and said he hadn't heard of a camera making a tape crunching noise before, I should add he was about 25 years old. Anyway when I took my prized and well loved camera out of it's box he looked amazed and asked how old the thing was. The thing?? THis was my prized camera it had spent hours recording my children and grandchildren for me. I have a very detailed library of Family Video's all thanks to my camera. Unable to help me he went and got the store owner who knew exactly what I was holding and what the noise was. Sadly even though my camera still looked reasonably new parts are hard to get for it and it needed a few new ones. I asked him how long it would take to order them in and he stated IF and only IF he could get them maybe a week or two. The cost he had no idea on because he hadn't had to order any for so long. but that combined with his time etc we were looking at around $400 maybe more. I looked at my camera laying in his hands, it's little lens cap covering it's lens and wondered if I should leave it to rest. I took it and gently placed it in it's box and closed the lid. But my problem wasn't solved, How could I capture all those things a grandma loves to capture?

Ok your going to laugh but because I never considered or wanted a new camera and only partly listened when my friends would tell me to upgrade I had no idea how far advanced they were. OMG they run on hard drives!!! First of all he asked me what I used it for and as soon as I told him he had several out of the display case for me to view. I looked them over one at a time, picked them up to as he suggested get a feel for the weight and almost dropped it expecting it to be a little weighty. That concerned me they didn't feel solid and sturdy like mine did. Anyway to cut a long story short I took a liking to a nice cherry red camera with a 30gb hard drive. The price was amazingly good as well, only $600 ( I paid over $1000 for the old one) and it came with a spare battery, camera case, stand and a remote control so I can operate it from a distance although I am not sure why I would want to, all the computer cables and a cd for the computer.

I liked this and decided to purchase it. He offered me $150 for my old camera which now sits proudly on top of it's box in a display case of antique camera's. Cassie suggested I should have held on to it as it is an antique.
So now I sit here with a JVC Everio 30gb movie camera. As the battery wasnt charged I had to leave it on all night before I could operate it.
So now I have a new camera and absolutely no idea yet how to use it. I will get there though and am looking forward to watching my first lots of DVD's.

4 comments:

AliceKay said...

Good luck with the new video camera. Can't wait to see a video or two from Australia. :)

LadyStyx said...

*gigglez*

Im with Alice though, I look forward to a couple videos that you shot being posted in here. Congratulations on the upgrade. Hey and $150 extra to go towards the new purchase too...cant beat that!

Toriz said...

Good luck with the new video camera. :)

Intense Guy said...

Thats a great story - technology does change in leaps and bounds - and digital cameras and recorders are night and day better than the old stuff.