Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New year

Have a wonderful New Year everyone!!!

I am off Wednesday for 8 days camping. I havent been for so long I am looking forward to it..
Cassie and I started packing the car today. Just a few essentials..TV, portable shower, camp kitchen and toilet lol I must be getting old. I wouldnt even consider taking those a few years ago.
I used to have a small shovel to dig a toilet, a shower we would head into a town and ask the local pub if we could use one every couple of days, but now they have these great full pressure showers you hang from a tree and the sun gets the water to boiling point. It has a curtain that falls around it and even a rack to put your essentials neatly on. The camp kitchen is pretty amazing as well a washing and a rinsing sink for the dishes..A huge cutting board for food preparation and drawers to store items in as well as a couple of shelves and it is full height so no bending, Gone are the days of my old red plastic bowl I used to sit on the ground and wash the dishes in. The TV well thats a luxury item to keep Esch amused at night while she dozes off to sleep. Mind you my kids were just put to bed and told to sleep, according to cassie I was a little harsh and cruel doing that. Such a cruel mother I was LOL.
Some things dont change though. I pulled my fishing rod out of retirment yesterday and set it up all ready to catch a murray cod or a nice sized redfin or two (I am hoping anyway). I bough Esch her own fishing kit. The kids packs are great they include everything a kid needs for fishing plus a few extra's to make them feel special. I am not sure if I will get an excited reaction or a huge ewwwwwww from her when I give it to her.
I decided to invest in a new tent so we have some privacy and bought a 4 roomed tent. The salesman thinking he had just another dopey female purchasing a tent didnt realise I am a seasoned camper and knew exactly what I wanted. But we had some fun with him anyway..Mind you he was very redfaced at the end of the sale. Which is how we got the shower he decided to throw it in with the tent as a freebie.
I am dusting off the yabbie pots today and hoping we catch a few the drought has really kicked the poor things about though and breeding cycles all but stopped. Still a few for the pot will be tasty as a meal one night.

Now a few luxuries I dont mind but I noticed Cassie's makeup bag going into the back of the car earlier so when she isnt lookng out it will come.. No one going to see her where we are going anyway lol

I am headed to the dandenong ranges but what cassie doesnt know is it is a 2km hike to where we are setting up camp amongst a huge area of tree ferns and a small creek not far from us. So it will be cool and peaceful. I am hoping no one else has booked the area near us.

3 comments:

AliceKay said...

Have a nice time on your trip. (taking a tv, eh?)

LadyStyx said...

Have a great trip!! Dont forget to pack the camera and plenty of batteries!!

Intense Guy said...

I went to your "strine" blog and found out what a yabbie was!

:) That tent sounds pretty roomy. Does it get buggy in the fern tree forest?