Wednesday, January 14, 2009

My Home Town



This is the entry to Luna Park. One of Melbournes most popular attractions.



The Scenic Railway Roller Coaster. It gives you views of Melbourne city and the beaches if you can keep eyes open long enough. This is so oldest continually operating roller coaster in the world. Opened in 1912.




This is a view of Melbourne from the 88th floor of the Eureka Building.


Another view of Melbourne
Over looking part of the dandenongs in the background. Far right.



The Bees of the Eureka Building. I am not sure but I am told these are coated in 24carat gold. The same as the top 8 floors of the building has windows infused with 24carat gold.


I stole this pic and the facts from the website as my pics werent as good and didn't show the building in its finest.

The world's tallest residential tower
Height of Building 984.3 ft / 300m
Eureka's 13 lifts are the fastest in the Southern Hemisphere
Lifts travel at more than 9 metres per second (Boy do your ears tell you)
The facade consists of glass aluminium panels covering an area of 40,000 sq. metres
The glass on the top 8 floors is 24 carat gold infused
The Skydeck is situated on the 88th floor and is the highest public vantage point (285m) in the Southern Hemisphere
The top of the Tower can flex up to 600mm in high winds. Two 300,000 litre water tanks on levels 90 & 91 help to dampen the oscillations
Horizontal white lines on Eureka Tower represent the centimetres and millimetres of a ruler



'The Edge' - a glass cube which projects 3 metres out from the building - with you in it - suspended almost 300 metres above the ground!

4 comments:

Deanna said...

those are some cool pictures. That is quite a home town you have there. It is on my (very long) list of places I'd like to visit.

Intense Guy said...

I want to visit too - but I don't want to go into the cube.

The roller coaster on the otherhand, sign me up!

AliceKay said...

Great pics. I don't think I'd like standing in that cube thing either.

Ausgrl said...

I know the cube looks scary but it is quite amazing.. you are on a floor and have places to stand other than the glass if that makes you uncomfortable. Once out you realise there is nothing to fear and the view is worth any nerves you may have.