Wednesday, October 29, 2008

What does this Picture say to you????


The story behind the house is that the elderly couple who owned it passed on and it has remained untouched and empty ever since. Probably 20 years. It is in the main street of town ( a very small country town) about 2 houses away from the first shop.
It is now the property of the government and has been since the couple passed away so it sits untouched.
I didnt know the history when I first saw it and took this picture.
I was talking to my cousin about a house I saw in town and he asked to see the picture. When I showed him he told me to stay away from it. You know thats like waving a red flag at a bull. I asked why he just told me it's history and that it has stood empty for so long now no one will touch it. It seems to have picked up a reputation in the town.

At the moment the whole town is in a bad way below is a picture of the towns water supply. Click on it to read the signage.


The towns water supply dried up a couple of years ago and if they dont get good rains this coming winter there wont be a town. My cousin is on his last year as a farmer if the rains dont come he doesn't know what he is going to do for work but he will lose his farm.

If the rains come the town will survive another year or so and I will look into buying that cute spooky little house above.
I would like to turn it into a holiday home. A coat of white paint, a few boards replaced and a good clean up and nice garden will have it looking pretty nifty.
I hope it is as spooky as it looks and the feel it gives out at the moment is spooky.

5 comments:

Intense Guy said...

I clicked on the picture to enlarge it and what a ghostly/haunted image. I'm vaguely reminded of the homes of the poor that suffered through the 'dustbowl' in the mid-southwest USA - the brooding sense of lost hope and an abandoned dream. It also looks ... so lifeless and...sterile - as if the owner had died of some sort of plague.

AliceKay said...

What it says to me is this.."I just need a little TLC and I'll be back in shape in no time".

Deanna said...

It says "I may be old but with a little tender loving care, I could once again provide warmth for some lucky family. Just stop and listen a second, you can hear the voices of the past. Oh what stories they can tell."

Actually it reminds me of the house my dad grew up in, only much, much larger. Grandma & Grandpa raised 13 kids in a 2 bedroom house. The upstairs was one big room with two beds in it. The boys slept sideways in one bed, the girls in the other. There was no heat in the upstairs. And now-a-days kids complain if they have to share a room....

LadyStyx said...

That house would be adorable with a fresh coat of paint and the right trimmings. Right about now, I'd be happy even with a house like that if I could say it was all mine and not a rental....

Deanna said...

Sounds and looks like a mighty big challenge there, Aus. What would you do if the town really does dry up? Would you have services? Spooky could be ok. I had a cousin who moved into our Great Uncle's house after Uncle Alex passed away. Lights kept going off and on and things would disappear. She finally started talking to him and telling him to put things back. And without exception, the item would reappear when she wasn't looking.