Thursday, October 9, 2008

Kangaroo Island Trip

On Monday I took off ona trip to Kangaroo Island off of the coast of South Australia. I flew to Adelaide airport and got a bus to the Island ferry where I then felt sea sick for the next 45 minutes until we reached Penneshaw.
Once I arrived I picked up my hire car and set about my adventure and the hope of seeing 1000's of wild Kangaroo's, Wallabys and Tamars. First wild animal I saw was a possum in the middle of the road looking very flat, then the Roo's come thick and fast, every last one of them dead on the side of the road. I thought ok they are really populated here with so many dead and looking at my watch realised it was way too early in the day for them. Heading past a Visitor information centre I decided to swing in and take a look around and maybe pick up a souvineer or two for Esch.
Stretching my legs from my whole 10 minutes in the car I decided to have a quick smoke before going in and set myself down on a low wall. When I turned around and looked there was a large area of tiles all painted by local children. I had left the camera in my car so took my notebook out and made a note to take pics on the way back to the ferry.


In the visitor centre I met an elderly man who was very helpful with the supply of a map and some advice on the best bits of the island to see..I bought a few items for Esch, A Koala head shaped purse, kangaroo and a penguin shaped Island honey biscuit that actually was just a gingerbread.

Back in my car and a check of the time revealed it was only 11am and I had to wait until 2-30 to book into my motel. So off I went deciding to do some sightseeing while I was in the area. This Island is 7 times larger than singapore so I had a lot of ground to cover and felt seeing I was on this side already and had time to spare I would take advantage. It took me a whole 10 minutes to cover the town of Penneshaw and the best views.
Looking at Penneshaw and the Ferry I arrived on.

Ok another check of the watch and I was off. This time I decided to head to Kingscote and see what I could find on the way of interest. Lots of dead roo's still along the road no live ones yet. Speed limit was 110K so I set the speed alert to 115 and decided to cruise along.
The island is narrow and long there are 3 main roads, the middle one the left and the right one. I was travelling down the middle. The elderly man told me I wouldnt miss a thing if I stuck to the middle. I bet the live roos were on the left or right roads.
I was enjoying the view when I saw a sign that Read American River 2.4Ks this way.. Finding the brake pedal quickly I was able to turn around and take the now left hand turn. Having myself for company I decided talking out loud would stop me from getting too lonely. (I prefer travelling with someone so I can say see that or whats that) I said to myself loudly damn I took a wrong turn to end up in American River.. Was that ferry ride really only 45 minutes? (I also tell bad jokes to myself)
Anyway back on the subject. American River consisted of one shop but what A shop. It is The local Deli (corner store) Booze shop, hardware store, post office, fishing tackle and bank.


I bought a cheese crusted Pastie and a bottle of coke and decided to have lunch looking at American River (Which is just an inlet from the sea)
Looking across the inlet I was bewildered by what I saw and took another look. There on the water were Black swans. I decided to pull out the map and take a closer look. Yep it was definately salt water and there were swans swimming away and eating something from the water. I have never known swans to be on salt water. I need to look this up and research more.


Back in the car fed and refreshed still wondering about the swans I decided to head to the Motel.
It seemed to take forever as I decided to slow down and enjoy the roo's that I was about to see..Each kilometre became more dissapointing than the last revealing more and more dead roos on the side of the road of all sizes.
Anyway I arrived in Kingscote and set about finding Wisteria Lodge (The owner told me it was walking distance from shopping centre.) It took me awhile to find the Shopping centre. Actually I drove past it several times without realising it. Lets see I left American River at around 12-30 for a 30 minute drive to Kingscote which I decided to take slowly to see some Roos. Arrived in Kingscote 45 minutes later at 1-15 still plenty of time to spare before my check in time. I drove around looking for the shopping centre awhile and then finally finding it checked my time 2.30pm. The shopping centre consisted of 1 small street of shops. I was looking for a HUGE centre. LOL Oh well thats ok off to the motel which was a short walk from shopping centre. 5K later I finally found it. (A short walk all uphill glad I drove) I was pleased to see it by this time a toilet was desperately needed and the promise of a luxurious motel room was sounding good. I grabbed my key and off to room 14 I went. Opening the door hmmmmmmmmmmm luxurious huh.. I huge sign on the back of the door apologising for the room being in a state of repair as new owners have just taken ovcer the Motel. No phone, a TV that worked, a clock radio that worked and a worn out old bed with one blanket which was ok because they said they had electric blankets. So I set about finding the control to turn the blanket on. Hmm No control and further investigation revealed no electric blanket. I opened the cupboard and found another blanket. Ok it was for a single bed and mine was a queen size but it was only me there so I didnt have to share. Threw it on the bed and slipped into the shower. Feeling refreshed and dressed in fresh clothing I decided to make use of my balcony that was overlooking the beach. Walking over to the door and reaching out to slide it open I was met with resistance. So there I stood for what felt like an eternity trying to open this damn door until I gave up and trotted down to reception. No phone to call them on. While I was there I told them I would need a table for dinner that night and the receptionist took my booking and told me to wait in the room for the handyman. So back to the room and made myself a cup of tea, turned on the TV and laid on the bed to watch some telly while I waited and waited and waited. 6pm and no handyman and I was getting a little hungry so off to reception only to be met by an apology that she had forgotten to inform him. A few choose words mumbled to her and off to the room I went AFTER I made sure she called him then and there. About 10 minutes later my door was open and I could get access to the balcony. BUT was told dont shut it all the way as I wouldnt get back out..Great security....The view was great however.

Satisfied I could sit on the balcony I went down to the restaurant for dinner. The place was empty and I was quite content with that. Enjoying the thought of dining in peace. Opened the door and walked in to be greeted by a lady ironing the tablecloths. She greeted me with a smile and asked if I was in need of anything in the room. I replied with a hello and said no thanks I booked a table for 1 for dinner. She said didnt anyone tell you? Curious I said tell me what? She then replied with..Our restaurant is NOT open monday nights but there are 2 pubs and a restaurant in town if you are quick you will catch them before they stop serving meals. OMG I was fuming by this stage but also hungry. I stormed out promising to return to the office before returning to my room. I had a lovely dinner a seafood platter at the local pub. Returned to the motel and proceeded to the office and the owner. He wasnt happy to see me and hear my tirade of cursing, and even less happy when I walked away from him promising I would return in the morning to sort the mess out in a civil manner when I had calmed down.

Day 2 tomorrow. :-)

2 comments:

LadyStyx said...

Geeez louise. What real winners you've had to deal with so far! In the same position, I'd be finding a different place to stay if at all possible and making it very clear I wouldnt be writing a complimentary review to their bosses the next day.

Intense Guy said...

he wont remain in business long if he doesnt fix up his service

am sad for all the dead roos - and sorry you didn't see a live one

the black swans look nice - the weather looks a bit blustery - was it windy?