Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas Day in Aus / Christmas Card

MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone and I hope you ALL have the most wonderful New Year.

Christmas in Aus was cancelled today, Well for our house anyway. We had the gift giving and we had a small luncheon but it was sadly missing my youngest daughter Kirsten.

Every year for the past 4 years she has had to spend Xmas eve awake walking her horses because of colic. Sadly the horse went down again last night and she spent the better part of the night walking him and all day today. The good news is we found out why the horses have been coming down on xmas. A mother and her children had decided to make it a tradition on Xmas to walk past the stables and feed the horses. Why she felt the horses needed feeding is beyond us, Kirsten has them just above their required weight. If you could feel a bone on one of them it would be a miracle they are so well fed. She has been getting her children to drop the food on the ground for the horses to eat as they cannot get into the stables fully to put the food in the food bins so the horses have been eating loads of sand. An act of love you could say for the past 4 years has created sleepless nights for my daughter and my father. Xmas eve's spent walking horses around and around the stables not to add the Christmas day call outs of a vet $400 just for disruping his Christmas polus the medication and hourly rates. A simple visit to the stable has cost around $700 each year $2800 in total. Kirsten is a very quiet peaceful girl who tends to keep her mouth shut most of the time to avoid confrontation regardless of what annoys her. I have always wondered how she will go out on her own.
I saw another side to her today that showed me she will be fine. I am glad I was not the woman allowing her children to feed the horses. My father quickly to hold of the situation and has offered the children a ride once a month if they promise not to feed the horses again and the mother has been given the account for the Vet's visit.
So tomorrow is going to be our Christmas day which I look forward to greatly.
It doesn't matter the day it matters the love.

3 comments:

AliceKay said...

Wow...so sorry to hear about Kirsten's horses. Some people don't understand how animals need to be fed. Take it from me...there are hundreds of people out there who have NO idea what to feed animals they have either been given or have bought.

I hope your Christmas celebration is a good one despite having it on another day. Best wishes to you and your family.

Deanna said...

(((((((Aus))))) That is amazing. Some people just don't understand the damage they can do with their misguided good intentions.
Thanks for posting what you did on my blog. I am very proud to call you my friend and always enjoy reading your blog. You have such a refreshing sense of humor and way with words. I admire you greatly for your strong beliefs and your willingness to accept everyone as they are. You are a wonderful person.

Intense Guy said...

Poor horses and poor young woman...she sounds like a really wonderful person. Takes after her Mom, I'm betting.