Monday, May 11, 2009

Mothers Day Mandy style

Happy Mothers day to all Mothers out there and Dads that are mums as well.

I am not one for celebrating days like Mothers Day, Fathers Day. Not because I feel that they dont deserve the attention ( am a mum several times over myself) but because I dont like all of the advertising hype over it.
This year they wre advertising items into the thousands of dollars price range with the Slogan Mum wont be happy unless.

This gave me the reason to sit my children down and explain to them why I wanted a $$$ free Mothers day.
When I explained I wasnt going to be happy with money spent on me they looked at me and were quite upset at the thought of not being able to show or express the Mothers Day sentiments by buying me items.
This in turn upset me, I felt I had taught them well about advertising tricks and ploys to get you to spend as much as possible. They argued it was because they wanted to not because of advertising.
So I argued back that seeing it was Mothers Day and they wanted to make me happy wouldnt knowing what I wanted make it easier for them?

Eventually they understood and my Mothers Day became one where no money was spent on gifts.

Escher made me the most beautiful card I have ever received. After having her tell me what the picture she so carefully drew depicted I placed it in my special box with her watching. She swelled with pride that it went in and the happiness in her eyes helped make my day.
Cassie received the same from Esch a beautiful picture hand drawn for her to treasure.

As there are two Mums living in the house we shared the cooking and tidying for mothers day luncheon, usually Cassie cooks and does the dishes these days so it was a nice treat for her to be able to share the chores.. I picked my mother up and bought her over for the afternoon. Esch presented her with another card she had made and it made great nanna's day.

After we ate, we piled into the car and went for a drive. I headed out into the country area along The Great Ocean Road (It took 16years to build) and we had a wonderful time stopping at different stalls, buying fresh fruit and veg from the orchards and tasted a few wines from wine growers.

Late afternoon we stopped at a little coffee shop that was tucked away in the middle of no where and had devonshire tea.

We stopped for a pub meal on the way home when it became evident we werent going to make it at a reasonable hour to be cooking.

We arrived back home late evening exhausted, but it was one of the most wonderful Mothers Day's I have spent.

Everything was spur of the moment, We had no time frame, we just took it easy and relaxed and went with the flow.

5 comments:

Intense Guy said...

Happy Mother's Day Mandy!!!

What did Esch draw on your card? :)

*Hugs*


That trip along Ocean Road looks beyond spectacular!

LadyStyx said...

Sounds like a beautiful day!

sexy41 said...

Sounds like a fantastic Mother's day. You should post your card from Esch.

Hugs to you

Deanna said...

Happy belated mother's day. The spontaneous is usually one of the best times. I'd love to see the card from Esch.

AliceKay said...

I'd love to see the card, too. Happy belated Mother's Day. (i was on the road driving to Sidney, Ohio on Mother's Day)